Heard on Fairfield life
P.N.
2010-01-20 11:40:55 UTC
7a. Re: A fun Sattyanand story about Maharishi's...uh...truthfulness
Posted by: "Doug" ***@yahoo.com dhamiltony2k5
Date: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:34 pm ((PST))
This is a story that was told many times on courses
conducted by Brahmacharya Sattyanand, because it
always got a laugh. Now that the issue of whether
Maharishi always told the truth has come up again,
I thought it might be fun to share it and see if
it still gets the same laugh.
According to Sattyanand, he, Maharishi, and Jerry
Jarvis were traveling in India in the early days
of the TM movement, and had to catch a train and
were late for it. Maharishi and Sattyanand got on
the train OK, but Jerry, left behind carrying all
the luggage, did not. The train started to pull
out of the station.
Maharishi reached up and pulled the Emergency Cord.
The train screeched to a stop, and Jerry managed
to scramble on, with all the luggage. But pulling
the Emergency Cord was obviously a Big Deal, because
the conductor and police from the railway station
started conducting a car-to-car search to find out
who had pulled it.
When they arrived in Maharishi's car, all of the
other passengers were staring at them, so the cops
went up to them and said, "Who pulled the Emergency
Cord?"
According to Sattyanand, Maharishi did not bat an
eyelash. He pointed to Jerry and said, "He did."
I've heard this story many times also only that Maharishi did'nt say "He
did", he simply nodded in the direction of Jerry.
And the Turq did'nt get the point of the story ofcourse. Maharishi was to
give a lecture for hundreds of people the same evening, not Jerry. Made
the choice of whom to sit in a police cell for a couple of hours rather
easy.
Well,good example. Sacrificing truth for expedience.
Evidently a trademark of the
Transcendental Meditation
culture, from way back.
White lie as way of doing business.

Good story.
robert roberts
2010-01-20 21:11:42 UTC
Date: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:34 pm ((PST))
[...]
I atribute this simply to just so much gossip even considering the rumor is
supposedly attributed to Sattyanand.